CAL. EDC. CODE § 66602 : California Code - Section 66602
Search CAL. EDC. CODE § 66602 : California Code - Section 66602
(a) The board shall be composed of the following five ex officio members: the Governor, the Lieutenant Governor, the Superintendent of Public Instruction, the Speaker of the Assembly, and the person named by the trustees to serve as the Chancellor of the California State University; a representative of the alumni associations of the state university, selected for a two-year term by the alumni council, California State University, which representative shall not be an employee of the California State University during the two-year term; and 16 appointive members appointed by the Governor and subject to confirmation by two-thirds of the membership of the Senate.
(b) (1) Two students from the California State University, who shall have at least a junior year standing at the institutions they attend, and who remain in good standing as students during their respective terms, shall also be appointed by the Governor for two-year terms.
(2) In the selection of students as members of the board, the Governor shall appoint the students from lists of names of at least two, but not more than five, persons furnished by the governing board of any statewide student organization that represents the students of the California State University and the student body organizations of the campuses of the California State University. Any appointment to fill a vacancy of a student member shall be effective only for the remainder of the term of the person's office that became vacated.
(3) The term of office of one student member of the board shall commence on July 1 of an even-numbered year and expire on June 30 two years thereafter. The term of office of the other student member of the board shall commence on July 1 of an odd-numbered year and expire on June 30 two years thereafter. Notwithstanding paragraph (1), a student member who graduates from his or her college or university on or after January 1 of the second year of his or her term of office may serve the remainder of the term.
(4) During the first year of a student member's term, a student member shall be a member of the board and may attend all meetings of the board and its committees. At these meetings, a student member may fully participate in discussion and debate, but may not vote. During the second year of a student member's term, a student member may exercise the same right to attend meetings of the board, and its committees, and shall have the same right to vote as the members appointed pursuant to subdivision (a).
(5) Notwithstanding paragraph (4), if a student member resigns from office or a vacancy is otherwise created in that office during the second year of a student member's term, the remaining student member shall immediately assume the office created by the vacancy and all of the participation privileges of the second-year student member, including the right to vote, for the remainder of that term of office.
(c) (1) A faculty member from the California State University, who shall be tenured at the California State University campus at which he or she teaches, shall also be appointed by the Governor for a two-year term. In the selection of a faculty member as a member of the board, the Governor shall appoint the faculty member from a list of names of at least two persons furnished by the Academic Senate of the California State University.
(2) The faculty member of the board appointed by the Governor pursuant to this subdivision shall not participate on any subcommittee of the board responsible for collective bargaining negotiations.
(3) The term of office of the faculty member of the board shall commence on July 1, and shall expire on June 30 two years thereafter.