Ind. Code § 35-42-4-12 : Indiana Code - Section 35-42-4-12: Sex offender internet offense
Search Ind. Code § 35-42-4-12 : Indiana Code - Section 35-42-4-12: Sex offender internet offense
(a) This section does not apply to a person to whom all of the following apply:
(1) The person is not more than:
(A) four (4) years older than the victim if the offense was committed after June 30, 2007; or
(B) five (5) years older than the victim if the offense was committed before July 1, 2007.
(2) The relationship between the person and the victim was a dating relationship or an ongoing personal relationship. The term "ongoing personal relationship" does not include a family relationship.
(3) The crime:
(A) was not committed by a person who is at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
(B) was not committed by using or threatening the use of deadly force;
(C) was not committed while armed with a deadly weapon;
(D) did not result in serious bodily injury;
(E) was not facilitated by furnishing the victim, without the victim's knowledge, with a drug (as defined in IC 16-42-19-2(1)) or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9) or knowing that the victim was furnished with the drug or controlled substance without the victim's knowledge; and
(F) was not committed by a person having a position of authority or substantial influence over the victim.
(b) This section applies only to a person required to register as a sex or violent offender under IC 11-8-8 who has been:
(1) found to be a sexually violent predator under IC 35-38-1-7.5; or
(2) convicted of one (1) or more of the following offenses:
(A) Child molesting (IC 35-42-4-3).
(B) Child exploitation (IC 35-42-4-4(b)).
(C) Possession of child pornography (IC 35-42-4-4(c)).
(D) Vicarious sexual gratification (IC 35-42-4-5(a) or IC 35-42-4-5(b)).
(E) Sexual conduct in the presence of a minor (IC 35-42-4-5(c)).
(F) Child solicitation (IC 35-42-4-6).
(G) Child seduction (IC 35-42-4-7).
(H) Kidnapping (IC 35-42-3-2), if the victim is less than eighteen (18) years of age and the person is not the child's
parent or guardian.
(I) Attempt to commit or conspiracy to commit an offense listed in clauses (A) through (H).
(J) An offense in another jurisdiction that is substantially similar to an offense described in clauses (A) through (H).
(c) As used in this section, "instant messaging or chat room program" means a software program that requires a person to register or create an account, a username, or a password to become a member or registered user of the program and allows two (2) or more members or authorized users to communicate over the Internet in real time using typed text. The term does not include an electronic mail program or message board program.
(d) As used in this section, "social networking web site" means an Internet web site that:
(1) facilitates the social introduction between two (2) or more persons;
(2) requires a person to register or create an account, a username, or a password to become a member of the web site and to communicate with other members;
(3) allows a member to create a web page or a personal profile; and
(4) provides a member with the opportunity to communicate with another person.
The term does not include an electronic mail program or message board program.
(e) A person described in subsection (b) who knowingly or intentionally uses:
(1) a social networking web site; or
(2) an instant messaging or chat room program;
that the offender knows allows a person who is less than eighteen (18) years of age to access or use the web site or program commits a sex offender Internet offense, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class D felony if the person has a prior unrelated conviction under this section.
(f) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that the person:
(1) did not know that the web site or program allowed a person who is less than eighteen (18) years of age to access or use the web site or program; and
(2) upon discovering that the web site or program allows a person who is less than eighteen (18) years of age to access or use the web site or program, immediately ceased further use or access of the web site or program.
As added by P.L.119-2008, SEC.18.
Sex offender residency restrictions
Inappropriate communication with a child