Interior or exterior ramps may be used as exits in
lieu of interior or exterior stairs provided they comply with the
applicable requirements for interior stairs in section 27-375 of this
article or exterior stairs in section, 27-376 of this article
respectively, and with the following:
(a) Capacity. The capacity of ramps shall be as listed in table 6-1.
(b) Maximum grade. Ramps shall not have a slope steeper than 1 in 8,
except that in buildings classified in occupancy group H the slope shall
not exceed 1 in 12, and except as provided in subchapter eight of this
chapter for places of assembly.
(1) CHANGES IN DIRECTION. Ramps shall be straight, with changes in
direction being made at level platforms or landings, except that ramps
having a slope not greater than one in twelve at any place, may be
(2) LENGTH. The sloping portion of ramps shall be at least three feet
but not more than thirty feet long between level platforms or landings.
(3) PLATFORMS. Level platforms or landings, at least as wide as the
ramp, shall be provided at the bottom, at intermediate levels where
required, and at the top of all ramps. Level platforms shall be provided
on each side of door openings into or from ramps having a minimum length
in the direction of exit travel of three feet, and when a door swings on
the platform or landing a minimum length of five feet.
(4) DOORS. Door openings into or from ramps shall comply with the
requirements for stairs in subdivision (g) of section 27-375 of this
article. No door shall swing over the sloping portion of a ramp.
(5) GUARDS AND RAILINGS. Guards and railings of ramps shall comply
with the applicable requirements of subdivision (f) of section 27-375 of
this article except that only ramps having a slope steeper than one in
twelve need comply with the requirements for handrails and intermediate
handrails shall not be required.
(6) SURFACE. Interior ramps exceeding a slope of one in ten and all
exterior ramps shall be provided with nonslip surfaces.
(7) Ramps for people having physical disabilities shall additionally
comply with the requirements of reference standard RS 4-6.