When used in this article:
1. "Office" means the state office of rural affairs created by this
2. "Director" means the chief administrative officer of the state
office of rural affairs.
3. "State agency" means any department, office, council, or agency of
the state, or any public benefit corporation or authority authorized by
the laws of the state.
4. "Federal agency" means any department, office, council, or agency
of the federal government, or any public benefit corporation or
authority authorized by federal statute.
5. "Local agency" means any municipality, or office or department
thereof or not-for-profit organization created for the purposes of
enhancing the quality of life and revitalization of rural areas.
6. "Municipality" means any county, city, town, village, or school
7. "Rural areas" means counties within the state having less than two
hundred thousand population, and the municipalities, individuals,
institutions, communities, programs and such other entities or resources
as are found therein. In counties of two hundred thousand or greater
population, "rural areas" means towns with population densities of one
hundred fifty persons or less per square mile, and the villages,
individuals, institutions, communities, programs and such other entities
or resources as are found therein.
8. "Rural development and revitalization" shall mean those policies,
programs, laws, regulations, or other matters having to do with rural
areas including, but not limited to, human services and community life;
health care; education; business, economic development, and employment;
agriculture; environment, land use, and natural resources;
transportation; community facilities, housing; and local government
services and management.