In this chapter:
(1) Alien. - The term "alien" means an individual who is not a
citizen of the United States.
(2) Classified information. - The term "classified information"
means the following:
(A) Any information or material that has been determined by
the United States Government pursuant to statute, Executive
order, or regulation to require protection against unauthorized
disclosure for reasons of national security.
(B) Any restricted data, as that term is defined in section
11 y. of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 (42 U.S.C. 2014(y)).
(3) Coalition partner. - The term "coalition partner", with
respect to hostilities engaged in by the United States, means any
State or armed force directly engaged along with the United
States in such hostilities or providing direct operational
support to the United States in connection with such hostilities.
(4) Geneva convention relative to the treatment of prisoners of
war. - The term "Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of
Prisoners of War" means the Convention Relative to the Treatment
of Prisoners of War, done at Geneva August 12, 1949 (6 UST 3316).
(5) Geneva conventions. - The term "Geneva Conventions" means
the international conventions signed at Geneva on August 12,
(6) Privileged belligerent. - The term "privileged belligerent"
means an individual belonging to one of the eight categories
enumerated in Article 4 of the Geneva Convention Relative to the
Treatment of Prisoners of War.
(7) Unprivileged enemy belligerent. - The term "unprivileged
enemy belligerent" means an individual (other than a privileged
belligerent) who -
(A) has engaged in hostilities against the United States or
its coalition partners;
(B) has purposefully and materially supported hostilities
against the United States or its coalition partners; or
(C) was a part of al Qaeda at the time of the alleged offense
under this chapter.
(8) National security. - The term "national security" means the
national defense and foreign relations of the United States.
(9) Hostilities. - The term "hostilities" means any conflict
subject to the laws of war.