As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires,
the term -
(1) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Commerce.
(2) "Centers" means the Cooperative Research Centers
established under section 3705 or 3707 of this title.
(3) "Nonprofit institution" means an organization owned and
operated exclusively for scientific or educational purposes, no
part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any
private shareholder or individual.
(4) "Federal laboratory" means any laboratory, any federally
funded research and development center, or any center established
under section 3705 or 3707 of this title that is owned, leased,
or otherwise used by a Federal agency and funded by the Federal
Government, whether operated by the Government or by a
(5) "Supporting agency" means either the Department of Commerce
or the National Science Foundation, as appropriate.
(6) "Federal agency" means any executive agency as defined in
section 105 of title 5 and the military departments as defined in
section 102 of such title, as well as any agency of the
legislative branch of the Federal Government.
(7) "Invention" means any invention or discovery which is or
may be patentable or otherwise protected under title 35 or any
novel variety of plant which is or may be protectable under the
Plant Variety Protection Act (7 U.S.C. 2321 et seq.).
(8) "Made" when used in conjunction with any invention means
the conception or first actual reduction to practice of such
(9) "Small business firm" means a small business concern as
defined in section 632 of this title and implementing regulations
of the Administrator of the Small Business Administration.
(10) "Training technology" means computer software and related
materials which are developed by a Federal agency to train
employees of such agency, including but not limited to software
for computer-based instructional systems and for interactive
video disc systems.
(11) "Clearinghouse" means the Clearinghouse for State and
Local Initiatives on Productivity, Technology, and Innovation
established by section 3704a of this title.